Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Master Bedroom Reveal!


***Please forgive me. Blog layouts are more difficult than I gave credit to. I had a hard time getting the pictures to come out o.k. I'll learn.*****

Our master bedroom was one of the first rooms to be ALMOST complete. Mostly, because it was one of the easiest to finish. I'll let the pictures do the talking here.


BEFORE



The room when we moved in.  It wasn't the worst example of wallpaper in the world but it definitely wasn't "us" I wish I had a good picture of how disgusting the carpet was. We did some major cleaning before we were able to do anything. We had that "things are crawling on me" feeling several hours after the vacuuming was complete.



  
DURING

 My husband used a steamer rented from Home Depot to remove the wallpaper.  I used a combination of warm water/vinegar in a spray bottle. Once saturated, it would just peel off. That is what is SUPPOSED to happen when you remove it. Large sheets SHOULD come off. We spoke wayyyy to soon when we said to each other, "Why do people say this is so hard?"
Wallpaper had it's revenge in other rooms.






Not pictured, because this was before I had a blog, but once all the wallpaper was removed I took one of those mops that look like a sponge on the end and I used vinegar and a putty knife (?) to get off EACH  LITTLE PIECE of glue and wallpaper left behind. Then, we patched up any holes (created by us or ones already there from the previous owners) with compound. Let that dry...sanded..and then the fun part!





When choosing a color we tried to find a good compliment to the bedding my parents got us as a wedding present. It's a tradition in my mother's family to get the bedding for the new couple when they get married and the crib for a new birth. The color is Behr "Rain Washed." We love it! It is very relaxing. We wanted a blue that wasn't aqua but also wasn't "baby blue." It is perfect!



ALMOST DONE

We DID NOT install new carpet ourselves. Steve did rip out the old carpet and we took it to the dump together. They were going to charge for it and half of the carpet was already coming up on it's own so we figured it couldn't be that hard. It wasn't. Really easy. The new carpet is so clean, plush, and wonderful!! Very good investment! Oh, back up. Some might wonder, "Why did you not install hardwood if you were putting down new flooring?" We did think about it. But, we like something soft, warm, and cozy under our feet in the morning! We decided that we will carpet the bedrooms and do hardwood in all other living areas.



We did things "the traditional way" in that we had separate residences for our 6 year courtship before the wedding. We had pretty much NO furniture! We both had twin beds at our prior residences so that wasn't going to work! Ricky and Lucy Ricardo bedroom set up??  Both our parents' had their bedroom furniture for 25+ years. They don't make furniture like that anymore but we did want something that would last! Our furniture from Raymour and Flannigan was delivered a few days after the carpet installation. We are so happy with our decision! Our mattress came from them too. Initially I did not like it but now it is wonderful!




So to recap, since everyone loves a Before and After: 

BEFORE                                                       


AFTER 


Bed set and Matress: Raymour and Flannigan, Bedding (from my parents): Bed, Bath, and Beyond,  Curtain rods and sheer drapes: Bed, Bath, Beyond, Room darkening curtains (room gets a lot of light for this night-shifter): Target, Lamps: Walmart, Paint: Behr Rain Washed on the walls in flat finish, Glidden semi-gloss white for the trim.



2 comments:

  1. Go Lori! You're off to a great start. I love the paint color...
    and i notice how awesomely big your closet is! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stacy! You would notice the closet! It's lovely! Steve's friends came over after we were all moved in and said, "Lori, where's your clothes?" Steve uses it way more than me! We painted it white when we moved in but now that I've seen so many great closet inspirations in magazines and on blogs I kinda want to make it snazzier!

    ReplyDelete